Yes, we are those people. You know, the people you promise yourself you will never be prior to becoming parents...spending a crazy amount of money so that your 2-year old can see his favorite furry red monster (I have since learned NEVER to say never--especially when it comes to parenting). To justify--it was his birthday present from us, the only other thing we got him was a puzzle.
Now that I have swallowed my pride, I'll admit we had a great time. My family took Noah to his first 4-star restaurant while we reminisced how it felt to be a family of three again for a hours. We met Kevin's entire family there and enjoyed seeing all of the Sesame Street gang dancing and singing for an hour and a half. Afterwards, we headed to Caleb's favorite restaurant--Freddy's--to enjoy "burga, fies, and dip," as Caleb says. 
Here's "Bumba", Emma, and Aunt Crystal...the rest of the gang is just down the row. Man, I wish I would have gotten a picture of everyone!
It's amazing how nice it is to spend with your children individually. We both could give Caleb our undivided attention and smile at eachother when for the 15th time Caleb exclaimed, "I want to give Elmo a hug." In a few weeks, we will be going to Palm Springs, California for Kevin's conference. After much deliberation, we have decided that Caleb will stay with my parents for 3 nights and Noah and I will fly out to be with Kevin 2 days after the conference begins. I just couldn't leave Caleb for the whole week but couldn't really imagine taking care of both of them myself in a fancy-shmancy hotel room (which the company pays for) while Kevin is at his meetings. We are looking forward to getting to spend some one-on-one time with Noah. After last night, we have decided we need to give our kids some individual time with both of us more often.
I have found that being a mother of more than one child brings with it a whole new load of guilt--guilt about not being able to give your second child as much attention as your first, taking away time from your first to take care of your second, guilt about the house being a mess so that you can spend time with the baby while the older one naps, etc. And then I remember the love that I have for all 4 of my siblings. What a blessing it is to share the love of brothers and sisters! I know Caleb and Noah will grow up being best buddies and we will enjoy watching their relationship grow!



2 comments:
How fun!! C is so cute! Enjoy your trip! Matt and I went to KC and just took Logan and it was amazing!! It was fun to dote on the baby together and have a full conversation w/out being interrupted! Reminds you of how much less chaotic life was just a few short months ago! Enjoy! :)
What is life like with just one. :)I totally agree it is so hard to give them all the same amount of attention. It is so neat to go to the store with just one and spend some one on one time. They just love it.
Post a Comment