Wednesday, May 12, 2010

my dilemma

At the recommendation of my mom, I'm reading this book. She warned me it was pretty out-of-date (it is), but it has some good ideas on rearing children (it does). I'm reading her copy, printed in 1978, if that tells you anything...

I'm not going to tell you the name of the book because it might be controversial. I don't want any mean comments.

I hate mean comments.

Anyway, the first part of the book deals more with the roles of Mommy and Daddy than it does on actual child rearing. I was talking to Kevin about the book and telling him that the overall principles were good, but the examples were totally out-of-date and somewhat ridiculous.

He asked for an example. I proceeded with the following:

"Okay, well the author recommends that women stay attractive for their husbands (good overall principle), but then says that we should fix our hair, makeup, and clothes AND greet him at the door each night. I mean, come on, seriously? After taking care of kids all day, that's really what I am supposed to focus my attention on..."

(I could tell by the look on his face that he actually liked this idea--dang it, I shouldn't have said anything!) Of course, he would NEVER say anything, but I can honestly see why he would enjoy coming home to a put-together woman than a zombie mommy.

So, my dilemma is this...

I really like my sweats. I mean REALLY.

After Caleb was born and I decided to stay at home instead of teaching first grade, I still got myself somewhat decently dressed each day. But since Noah's birth, what is the point? I want to be comfortable and I have a million other things to do besides getting ready. Even when we go somewhere, I don't really care if people see me with glasses, no makeup, and my hair disheveled.

But when I get dressed, I do feel better about myself.

So, here's my solution...

I'm NOT giving up my sweats. I will still continue to wear them. However, come 5:30 I will be dressed in something a little nicer. Like jeans.. :)

6 comments:

Michelle said...

If it makes you feel any better I just changed out of the shirt I have been wearing for 2 plus days...since we moved to the middle of no where and Cooper and I stay home all day, we do good to get out of our pjs....Cooper mostly is in a diaper all day. But I too feel better when I get dressed, somewhat being I'm almost 39 weeks pregnant!

Beth said...

You are not alone! Just today before we left for Target Ben asked me why I was going to wear my pajamas to the store. Sadly, they were not my pajamas but my "comfy" clothes. I realized then that someday instead of perplexing him, it might embarrass him. So my goal is to pull it together by the time he goes to pre-school, or at least find a coat and hat that will disguise my love for elastic and sleeping in. :) Love you Jenae!

Kate said...

Great compromise! I hear you thought. Since Logan, I don't shower every day. I used to love showers...a lot. Now it just isn't on my priority list. How sad is that? My poor husband!

Kristen Baird said...

sounds so familiar..... your solution (about throwing on something else) is what I do, kind of out of neccessity since what I've been wearing all day is usually covered in gunk. But I really haven't had to worry about it in the last four months (since we are usually in bed before James makes it in the door), but that's about to change!!! I've totally given up on make up (since I have to either a) get up early to put it on or b) apply it with the kids (aka Noble) getting into everything; neither of which is pleasant. So any suggestions there would be helpful (oh, and don't forget hair!) Thanks Jenae!

HansonTriplets said...

My hubby is lucky if I decide to shave my legs! You know it is bad when everytime you actually somewhat dressup he tells you how nice you look. I should take the hint but...where is the time. It is 2:30 and I still haven't showered today. Was going to do it during nap time but the boys decided they weren't napping today. I guess it will have to wait. :) Don't worry Jenae you are beautiful EVEN in sweats!

Emily said...

Ouch Jenae, that hit me close to home. I am ashamed to say that I am many times in my pajama pants when Jay comes home. And for get about hair and makeup, yikes. I keep thinking as the kids get older I will get it together again, we'll see :) In the mean time, I think you have a great compromise of making at least a little effort before they get home!
OOh and post some pics of your new house, I am dying to seeing, the yard pics you put on were beautiful. Have a great weekend.